Funding and Project Timeline
The Innovation Next Awards project team intends to fund between 7 and 10 innovation teams of three in Stage One of the process. In Stage Two, five teams of three will receive an additional award to realize their projects by bringing them to a “testable” state, or minimal viable product (MVP) version. This process will be repeated one additional time over the total five year awards period.
During Stage One, from April, 2018 – August, 2018, each of the up to ten teams of three will be awarded $80,000 to:
- Participate in the Design Thinking workshop;
- Receive a half-day “Jump to Innovation” booster workshop;
- Perform field work with the identified target audience(s); and
- Apply insights gained from field work into a plan for a technology innovation.
During Stage Two, from August, 2018 – February, 2020, each of five winning teams of three will be awarded $250,000 - $325,000, depending on scope and justification of the proposed project, to:
- Build their innovation using appropriate technologies;
- Receive technical assistance for vendor selection;
- Perform formative testing with the identified target audience(s); and
- Finalize their project into an “MVP,” or minimal viable product, version that may be tested with the target audience(s).